Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Reflections of Cuba

Late last night my feet set ground on land that has new meaning. I am not talking about Cuba, I am referring to my return to the United States of America. For the past 6 days I saw freedom in a new light. You, may be wondering why you did not receive updates on this blog from me last week. There was internet at the hotel, however due to internet restrictions and security I chose not to use it.  I was cautioned that if I attempted to use internet, I would most likely compromise my e-mail contact list, resulting in a vast amount of spam being sent to you from me. (This has actually already happened to a number of the other US delegates.) So even the expensive internet at the hotel came with a hidden price.

How can internet be equated with freedom? Internet allows for not only communication with distant friends and families but also it creates opportunities for the acquisition of knowledge. Knowledge is freedom. By limiting internet to only select individuals in Cuba, contact with the outside world is prevented. The freedom we have in the United States should never be taken for granted. Freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom to bear arms are just a few restrictions in Cuba. However, even with these restrictions, the Cuba people were friendly, warm and helpful.

My trip to Cuba, on a scale of 1 - 10, was a 15. I look forward to sharing with you my personal journal, detailing my personally enlightening experiences. This journey has changed my perception of Cuba. I will begin tomorrow, with an event that happened while going through Cuba's customs at the airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment