Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 20, 2011

One Question Answered



Monday, Oct. 3rd, Continued.



After our return from lunch we met with one of the Cuban organizations that worked closely with the US in the arrangement of this trip. Before I continue, I need to provide a little more information regarding the formation of this trip. In other words, how did a group of 25 professors and art teachers end up in Cuba? I have listed two web sites which provides some insight. Prof. Bob Sabol told us he was approached while in Washington and asked if he would like to lead a team of art professionals into Cuba to study their educational program as part of educational diplomacy. (I am not sure but Prof. Sabol thought that Hillary Clinton was one of the proponents/founders of this program.) To make a long story short they developed objectives and then invited art professionals who were members of NAEA to apply. Thankfully my application was approved.



blog.nafsa.org/.../a-victory-for-public-diplomacy...to-cuba
www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2000/11/22/12garcia.h20.htm


Considering that this trip was arranged between two governments, gave me a little peace and security. To me, it meant that our being there, was supported on a National level. 
It also meant that everything we saw and did on our trip in Cuba was mostly likely arranged by the Cuban government. I kept this in mind as we toured schools and met with professionals. We saw and did what they wanted us to see and do. This why I paid close attention to the things not listed on the itinerary -hence my trash research. I continuously observed people, city homes, and streets through the bus windows to gain a true perspective of Cuba. I also interviewed anyone who was willing to talk and that I could understand. The places we did go on the itinerary, I must say were very beneficial though. They allowed us to go into schools, our tour guide informed us, that they never allow foreigners to enter. 


At this meeting we discussed everything from the embargo to the five men who are involved in a political battle between the US and Cuba. The spokesman spoke passionately about his country and our political differences. He was very respectful and had good intentions. As with all people in Cuba, they wish to reestablish a working relationship with the US. At times he appeared almost maudlin. The average Cuban seems to blame the US embargo for all that is wrong with Cuba. Listening to him speak, I could not help but feel sympathetic. He spoke from his heart allowing us to assign a face to the casualties of politics.


Meeting with political leaders at a government building.


Government owned art studio. Artist do their "social service" here.


The artist of the artwork I bought. I am not sure how much the government tax was. This is when, I wished that I had brought more money.

Printing Press

Other artists performing social service.

Very beautiful antique printing press.

Feeding frenzy! Art teachers buying artwork.

This picture answers one of my preliminary questions. 
Does the artwork in Cuba portray creativity?
YES!!!










   

No comments:

Post a Comment