Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Are we who our schools wants us to be?.

Children are children no matter where you go, but what makes art, "art"? One of my preliminary questions prior to this trip was to find out if the children in Cuba create and express themselves in the same manner as children in the United States do? How has living in Cuba affected what children create and how they create it? What I found out is that, what I really need to do is to spend another month in Cuba to throughly answer these questions. However, I will share with you a snippet of my discoveries.

On this beautiful breezy day, our group had the wonderful opportunity to visit "Nicolas Estevanez" Elementary School. Through my process of bus window observation, I noticed the children jumping up and down and yelling with excitement as our bus approached. They were dressed in matching uniforms. Their cute little faces portrayed sweet smiles as well as a few apprehensive looks.


View from Bus Window

As we walked up the steps, we were greeted with adorable faces waving small Cuban flags. I felt like royalty. 

Yes, Computers!
The children gathered together and sang a joyous song for us. The principle (red white and blue shirt) smiled with the pride of a parent. He introduced us to the two student leaders. These two students (one male and one female) are elected by the entire school. (about 300)  They are standing to the left of the principle. After a warm greeting and introductions of staff, we were allowed to see the classrooms and observe the teachers.
Traditional Classroom -A picture of Fidel and Che were in every room.

Lunch Lady

Lots of healthy veggies!

Games played outside.


Manipulatives
A girl who performed for us.

Outside play area.


Up until this point all appeared to be consistent with a traditional school found in the US. (maybe not food) However, upon further exploration we observed 4 children creating "art." The teacher informed us that these students were expressing their feelings regarding the embargo placed on Cuba by the US. Wow! Pretty deep subject for elementary students. In one of my classes on Curriculum, I learned about the importance of teaching enduring ideas. Well this certainly is an idea that Cuban teachers made sure endures (evident in other schools as well). Did the students really understood the meaning of their assignment? The one student was copying a poster. 
"My feelings about the embargo."

Our first response may be to think that these students are being told what to think. That may be so, but are we not also, in a sense, being told what to think? Who decides what to teach students in the United States? Are we a product of what other people think is important for us to learn? We may not have blatant political examples in our curriculums, however, many of our schools are focusing on teaching only what needs to be answered on standardized tests. Cuba holds art in high regards. In the US, art classes are some of the first to go when there is a budget cut. Are we what our schools wants us to be?

Another one of my preliminary questions, was whether or not the students in Cuba create (including levels of develpoment)  in the same way? I attempted to communicate with the students during their break. They were so warm and receptive. I asked them in my poor Spanish, to sign and draw in my sketch book. This was so much fun! One little girl even shared her crackers with me.

One of my favorites experiences -drawing with Cuban children!

This day was amazing! I discovered many similarities between students in my US art classes and students in Cuba. After reviewing the sketchbook drawings doodled by my new Cuban friends and comparing them with my US students I realized that the differences were small. Both children create in relatively in the same way. I think the chosen subject matter was far more reflective of how government can influence education than skill.  Which begs me to once again to reflect,

Are we, a product of the selective beliefs or skills taught to use by past teachers? Are we a product, whose knowledge has been censored by what past Professors deemed worthy? Is who we are today, a reflection of what was emphasized during our elementary years? 

If I answer these questions based on the amount of attention that the arts have received and emphasized in my past,  I guess maybe I am not who I should be. At least that seems to be the message I have "heard." 

However, I am not too worried that the arts will simply disappear and possibly be replaced by math and reading museums. In every culture, through every historical disasters, the arts persevere. The arts have remained an important aspect of society even when little attention is given to them. The appreciation of "beauty" will always be a basic human need. And if you doubt this, ask yourself: How many of you want to live in a junky home or drive a decrepit car? 

My take from this day is... children are children where ever you go. Art reflects your culture. You are who you are based upon whether or not you chose to follow your heart and become what you love or you followed your head and became what was impressed upon you to be important. Maybe you did both...

This trip is evidence that our National government is placing greater attention on the arts. They see the value in researching and exploring the diversity found in art education. To me that is a wonderful step in the right direction! 








1 comment: