Total Pageviews

Monday, November 19, 2012

Family stories in Art.


Art reflecting cultural heritage.


The Journey To Cuba
My father came to America on a four foot raft. He came with one of his five brothers. They were surrounded by sharks with very little food and water. They were sunburned from head to toe. “I wanted to live the American dream” is what my father quoted. The front part of my father’s raft sunk after three days. They were saved by a fishing boat off the coast of Miami Beach where I was born. The waves were rough on the journey. The days were hot and the nights were cold but they made it through. It’s every Cuban’s dream to come to America.


The Food in Cuba
The food in Cuba is different, but really good. One of the foods I painted is chicken, rice and potatoes with my family’s homemade sauce that brings out the flavor. The flavors in Cuban food taste native to the Cuban culture. The only time we eat American food is on holidays such as Christmas, Easter and Halloween. Other Cuban foods are black beans, yucca and fried bananas. We eat lots of meat and rice.


The Cuban Life
In the painting of the houses you can see that many of them are cracked and run down. You are not allowed to own a house or car in Cuba. Only if Castro (the President of Cuba) gave you one. The beaches there are amazing though! I have been to Cuba about two times and we went to the beach a lot. It’s very hot in Cuba. I got sunburned a lot there. The Cubans do not have many rights at all. My father had to live in a three bedroom apartment. If Castro didn’t give you a house you move in with family.

Art work created by student's father.
Father and Daughter Share their Cuban Cultural heritage with us!



No comments:

Post a Comment